Veterinary experts at Sydney’s Animal Referral Hospital have managed to save a 6 month old Staffordshire Bull-Terrier named Lexi after the cheeky pooch came within millimetres of death after somehow swallowing a steak-knife.

Lexi’s owners initially thought the playful pooch just had an upset tummy but when her vomiting continued they took her to their local Vet where dramatic x-rays revealed the shocking truth…a whopping 20cm knife.

Scroll down to read the full story below or watch the video - You WILL be amazed!

 

 

“I thought she was going to die,” said the dog’s shocked owner. “Our vet said to rush her straight to the Animal Referral Hospital and they were amazing.” she added.

ARH medical specialist Dr Jody Braddock and her team of technicians spent the next 45 minutes, delicately and slowly inching the serrated edge knife back up Lexi’s oesophagus.

“I’ve never seen anything like it.” Dr Braddock said. “We knew that Lexi’s best chance for survival would be to remove the knife as soon as possible before it could cause more damage.

But to do that required a team effort with my veterinary technicians, guiding the endoscope with its camera in such a way that we could see the serrated edge and the tip of the knife and prevent it from cutting Lexi’s tissue as it was slowly and gently inched out with forceps.” she said.

The lucky pooch spent the next 3 days in intensive care as doctors ensured she could swallow food without pain, and watched for any signs of infection or unexpected bleeding and she’s now on strict bed-rest at home for the next 10 days.

“We’re so grateful to Dr Braddock and the technicians who saved Lexi’s life.” Lexi’s owner said, adding that it’s mystery how the knife came to be in Lexie’s stomach in the first place.

“Lexi’s always grabbing things to hide under the couch and play with them when we’re not looking – so that’s the only thing we can think of.” she said.

Dr Christine Hawke, ARH’s veterinary dentist thinks there may be another reason Lexie was ‘dicing with death’ when chewing down on the knife; “I noticed from the vision immediately that Lexi had a mal-occlusion, which is a common condition in some breeds where the dog has a sore mouth because their teeth push into their gum…and to stop the pain they’ll often bite on something hard, although on this occasion Lexie definitely bit off more than she could chew.” Dr Hawke said.

 

VETtalk Radio
 Available through iTunes - FREE!   Available on iHeartRADIO - FREE! 

 

Click image for more!

Please support
The Australian Animal Blood Bank!

We Support The Australian Animal Blood Bank

Learn About Our Channels

Already registered? Log-In below


Register Now... It's FREE!
Not yet registered?
It's FREE here